The important stuff!
Our insurance policy
We are insured for Public Liability through Simply Business. You can download the policy schedule here:
Our CRB/DBS numbers
It is not a legal requirement for a one-off visitor to a school to have a CRB/DBS. According to the Government guidelines on safeguarding in schools, Viking School Visits staff are not carrying out a regulated activity, nor do we expect to be left in charge of children unsupervised.
However we do have DBS checks in place and are happy to voluntarily supply these upon request.
What we need from the school
Your visitor will contact you about specific requirements, but in general the information and accommodations we need from the school are as follows:
- Full name, address and phone no. of the school
- Contact name and emergency/out of hours mobile phone no. for the person making the booking
- No of children in the group
- Year group that the is visit for
- The hall/a space large enough for the whole group available for the main part of the day
- Two or three tables on which to set up our display, which will need to be dedicated for our use all day, including over lunchtime
- School start and finish times
- Any restrictions on start and finish times for the workshop
- Earliest possible arrival time (we usually need to be there about 8am for a 9.30am start)
- School’s break and lunch times
- Assembly or any other compulsory activity that will interrupt the day
- Children with LDDs/SENs that we need to be aware of
- Number of teachers/TAs/helpers that will be available on the day. We require an appropriate amount of adult supervision for the number of children, and adults are expected to help with crowd control!
- Info on whether the children (and teachers!) are dressing up and making helmets/swords/shields
- Somewhere we can change into kit in/very near the hall
- Somewhere secure we can leave modern items, and the Viking equipment at break-times if the hall needs to be cleared
- Times breakfast/after school clubs etc. which will impact on set-up and pack-down
- Car parking on the premises for the whole day
- Access for cars to be brought as close as possible to the building to unload. This may include into the playground before the children arrive, as much of our equipment is heavy/bulky. Cars will then be removed to a suitable parking space after unloading
- Any other details you feel we need to know
The Small Print
- We recommend that teachers have a back-up plan for the day in case the visit is unable to go ahead due to reasons beyond our control. This may include but be not limited to illness, road closures, vehicle breakdown, public service strikes, blizzards, hurricanes, acts of God(s), plagues of locusts, UFO abduction etc. We are committed to ensuring your visit goes ahead successfully but suggest that you plan for every eventuality.
- For more than 60 children, a second day is recommended. A discount may be offered if these are taken on consecutive days. Some visitors may be willing to accept more children in one group but you are advised to check upon booking.
- We require the school to provide adult supervision sufficient for the number of children in the group, and to assist with discipline. Many of the activities involved in the workshops are exciting for children and we expect standards of behaviour to be enforced. Although weapons brought into schools are not sharp, they are still made of steel and wood, and can cause injury if children are unwilling to handle them according to instruction.
- Visitors reserve the right to amend or stop any activity if they feel that children’s behaviour will lead to people being put at risk of injury.
- Provisional bookings will be held for 1 week in term time or 2 weeks in school holiday time. After this time the date may be reallocated to another client if confirmation has not been received.
- Once written (email) confirmation of booking is received from the client, Viking School Visits will treat the booking as confirmed. We will ask for a 50% deposit upon confirmation. The following applies regardless of whether or not the deposit has been requested or received:
- In the event of the client cancelling the booking up to 14 days in advance, Viking School Visits will aim to reschedule another suitable date. In the event that this cannot be achieved, the deposit is non-returnable. If the visit is cancelled by the school between 14 days in advance and the day of the visit, then 100% of the cost is payable by the school.
- In the event of a late booking (14 days or fewer to the date of the visit) a deposit will not be collected. 100% of the visit cost will however be payable should the school then cancel the visit for any reason.
- Should a visit have to be cancelled or curtailed due to circumstances such as school closure for bad weather, heating breakdown etc. and the visitor is already on site, then the whole cost of the visit remains payable. In some circumstances it may be possible to reschedule if the visitor can offer an alternative date, but additional travel costs may be payable.
- Should Viking School Visits have to cancel the booking for any reason, the deposit and any other payments will be returned to the client.
- Viking School Visits will ensure that the full and total cost of the visit is clear and agreed in advance of the visit by both parties.
- Our payments terms: Balance payable by cheque or confirmation of bank transfer on the day of the visit
- Viking School Visitors are self-employed and responsible for their own taxes. UTR (Unique Tax Reference) numbers for our visitors are available on request.
- Viking School Visitors work to high standards of authenticity and historical accuracy and our information is based upon latest historical theories. However, it must be recognised that often interpretation of historical data can be ambiguous and even contradictory. Visitors will be happy to provide academic references for information given, should teachers require it.
- Viking School Visits reserve the right to refuse a booking without explanation.
- The client will have been deemed to have read these terms and conditions on confirmation of the booking.
- Any queries about any of these terms and conditions should be submitted using the form on the contacts page.